Friday, March 26, 2010

Printing the Solar Plate

Today I printed the Pool of Tears solar plate. I've photographed the process, so you can see how the print is made. First I assembled Hanhemuhle paper, Akua Intaglio Carbon Black ink, my solar plate and an old phone book for wiping the plate.











Next I dampened my paper and placed it between two cotton blotters. This opens up the dried paper fibers so they can accept ink. I always think of the fibers like little macaroni tubes. When they are plump, and then blotted, they are nice big hollows. The press then can push a lot if ink inside when the impression is made.











Now I ink the plate. I rub Akua ink into all the washed out areas of the solar plate matrix with my fingers. These areas are all below the surface of the matrix.











Now the surface of the plate is wiped clean. With Akua inks this is best done with some old phone book pages. I tell my students to remember how Mr Miyagi taught the Karate kid to wax the car--make circles across the surface of the plate.











Here is the inked plate ready to print on the press bed.











Next I position the plate on the registration grid and place the damp Hanhemuhle paper on top of it.











Now the press blankets are lowered on top of the paper. The pressure screws are adjusted. Finally, I can crank the press bed through the rollers. The top and bottom rollers give everything between them--plate and paper-- a good squeeze to transfer ink from plate to paper.











Here is the result--the impression hot off the press, so to speak.











These last images are the final print hanging on the drying wall and a close up of the image.































This print is for sale in my Etsy store if you want a copy. I decided to make a limited edition of 20. The images measures 4" x 6" on an 8" x 10" sheet. The price is $20.00 per print.
Jan

No comments: